1132 Follower
395 Ich folge
abouthappbooks

About Happy Books

Hi, I'm a book blogger from Germany, I heart romances and happy books.

About Happy Books: http://www.abouthappybooks.com (English blog)

About Happy Books: https://www.youtube.com/abouthappybooks  (booktube channel)

Bücher-lit: https://buecherlit.blogspot.de (deutscher Blog)

Happy Reading!

Sabrina

From nearly good to not my kind of book

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel Sublime - Christina Lauren A High-End Finish - Kate Carlisle Stolen Songbird (Malediction Trilogy 1) by Jensen, Danielle (2014) Paperback - Danielle L. Jensen

Four of the print books I read in the last weeks were not perfect for me, some left me cold, others nearly made the cut to being a good book.

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel
A world after a flu nearly killed everyone, a world I often couldn't believe in. Different story lines that cross paths from time to time, none was that interesting to me. Characters that did their best at surviving and building something new, characters I couldn't imagine to be real.

So no, Station Eleven was not a good book for me, many readers love the story, I wasn't touched by it. I often have issues with novels that critics applaud, so I'm not that surprised that Station Eleven wasn't a hit for me, but at least I gave it a try.

Sublime - Christina Lauren
This is one weird YA book, at times the weirdness was fascinating, other times very frustrating. After finishing the book I have no idea what the hell was really going on, what the ending is trying to tell me and what to feel about the characters. So many open questions aren't what I want from my reading experiences. The characters were interesting, but at the same time a bit too flat. The romance was one I couldn't believe in.

So far I definitely prefer the light-heartened adult romances by the author duo, their YA books don't seem to be perfect for me.

A High-End Finish - Kate Carlisle
This was a nearly good cozy mystery, but towards the ending things got a bit boring to me. The characters were very likable, the sleuthing was not the most exciting one. There is potential in the series, definitely. But I'm not sure if the parts in the series on old houses and their restoration will be perfect for me.

I plan to go on with the series and give at least two more books a chance, but I will wait with doing so for some months.

Stolen Songbird - Danielle L Jensen
This book should have been perfect for me. The story includes a fascinating world and interesting characters. But unfortunately I didn't feel anything when reading the book, nothing managed to touch me deeply, my emotions weren't involved when reading the story. And yes, this makes me sad because I wanted to love the book, but sometimes the reader/story chemistry is just not there and you can't force it to appear.

Happy Reading!