1132 Follower
395 Ich folge
abouthappbooks

About Happy Books

Hi, I'm a book blogger from Germany, I heart romances and happy books.

About Happy Books: http://www.abouthappybooks.com (English blog)

About Happy Books: https://www.youtube.com/abouthappybooks  (booktube channel)

Bücher-lit: https://buecherlit.blogspot.de (deutscher Blog)

Happy Reading!

Sabrina

A bunch of reviews, from nearly good to didn't like it & a question regarding "HIM"

The Shy Bride - Lucy Monroe White Trash Zombie Apocalypse - Diana Rowland Mayhem - Jamie Shaw Riot - Jamie Shaw The Mistake (Off-Campus Book 2) - Elle Kennedy The Deal - Elle Kennedy

Another bunch of reviews on books I read, it's a mix from nearly good to didn't like it at all.

The Shy Bride - Lucy Monroe, contemporary romance

Usually I enjoy short contemporary romances by Lucy Monroe, however "The Shy Bride" didn't manage to make me a fan of it. Both the characters and the romance weren't that interesting to me, both seemed to be a bit to superficial and flat. Something was missing from the story to spark my interest and my emotions.

White Trash Zombie Apocalypse - Diana Rowland

I loved the first two books in this series and also enjoyed #3, however not as much as I hoped. The story was this time a bit flat, the things that were going on left me a bit cold, I wasn't as interested in the story as I wanted to be. And the end left me a bit baffled, the new development on the last pages made no sense to me and I have no idea how/if this development will continue and maybe change the series.

I already bought book #4 in the series, so yes, I'm still going on with it, I'm excited to see what will happen next and I hope that the next zombie adventure will once again grab my whole interest.

The two books above are the reason for the "not enough" in the post title, now let's move on to the "too much". I read all of the "too much" books as ebooks, so unfortunately I can't share cool pics of the books with you.

Mayhem & Riot - Jamie Shaw

I wasn't sure if I should put these two books in a "Good Books" or "Read" post, to be honest I'm still not sure about it. Overall I enjoyed the writing style and the love stories, the love story in the first book of the series worked for me better than the one in the second one. And yes, as pretty much always I enjoyed the rock star elements a lot, I don't know why, but contemporary romances with rock stars or athletes are always something special for me.

But there were also some things that bothered me, the romance in the second book was one that frustrated me at times, I wanted to shake the characters a lot. And the at times careless consumption of alcohol bothered me as well.

When reading sexy NA books I'm often willing and able to overlook some things that don't work for me in other books, this time not everything worked for me, some details were a bit too over the top for my taste. And yet in the end I enjoyed both stories and plan to go on with book #3 in the series, so in a way the two books belong to my good books, but not all the way. And even though I had some issues with the books I'm happy that I gave them a try and I will definitely read more by Jamie Shaw in the future.

The Deal & The Mistake - Elle Kennedy

I read these two NA books right after the books by Jamie Shaw and had similar issues with the stories. Once again I enjoyed the author's writing style a lot, Elle Kennedy always makes it easy for me to get lost in her stories and to enjoy my reading time.

However with these two first books in a NA sports series I had two major issues: sex and alcohol were consumed as if they were candy. Sex while being drunk (of course always without consequences regarding unplanned pregnancies) with daily changing partners seemed to be the norm and at times I was shaking my head so hard. The alcohol consumption of the hockey players was also over the top, hello alcohol addiction was my thought at times. And calling someone a prude because she doesn't want to drink alcohol isn't the way to win me over. And yet I still enjoyed certain parts of the two books, but not as many as I hoped to.

The next book in the series will be about the biggest players of the guys and yes, one day I want to read the story (no idea why!), but I don't plan to rush to buy the book once it's out. I know that many readers of NA books love this series by Elle Kennedy so far, I wish that I could say the same, but this time some things, especially the careless handling and consumption of them, was too much for me.

Has anyone of you already read HIM by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy? I love the books by Bowen, but as you could read had huge issues with the ones by Kennedy, so I'm not sure if a book by both of them would work for me.