1132 Follower
395 Ich folge
abouthappbooks

About Happy Books

Hi, I'm a book blogger from Germany, I heart romances and happy books.

About Happy Books: http://www.abouthappybooks.com (English blog)

About Happy Books: https://www.youtube.com/abouthappybooks  (booktube channel)

Bücher-lit: https://buecherlit.blogspot.de (deutscher Blog)

Happy Reading!

Sabrina

Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices)

Clockwork Angel  - Cassandra Clare England, 1878: 16 year old Tessa Gray has just arrived in England and waits to be picked up by her brother to start her new life. Tessa had to leave the USA after her aunt died. But Tessa's new life in England isn't what she expected. Two mysterious and dangerous sisters pick her up and take her as a prisoner. The two women seem to know more about Tessa than she does herself. They know that Tessa has the special ability to change into another person, she just needs to touch something that belongs to the person. The sisters force Tessa to perfect her ability and she fears that she will never be free again. But then she is rescued by the Shadowhunters and Tessa is thrown into a foreign world full of paranormal creatures and fighter with special abilities.
Will Tessa find a new home and will she manage to discover what happened with her brother?

When I picked up this book I expected to be entertained and to have a lot of fun. And that's exactly what happened. I already read three books by Cassandra Clare, the first three books in the Mortal Instruments series, and knew that the author's writing style works perfectly for me. By the way, even though I like the Mortal Instruments series I decided to stop reading the series after the original trilogy was published. The third book gave the series in my opinion a good and satisfying ending and for me that was enough.

The first book in the Infernal Devices series introduces the reader to a world full of fascinating creatures, little steampunk elements and many interesting characters. The characters, especial the main ones, were all likable and I enjoyed that they sometimes did stupid things, that they had secrets and that they sometimes seemed arrogant. I want to know more about them, especially about Tessa's abilities and how she got them. And of course about what secrets Will hides and why he often plays a charade.

The story was fast paced and at the end I was surprised by some of the developments. Reading never got boring and of course that's something positive.

I know that some readers think that this story and the characters are a bit too similar to those from the Mortal Instruments series, but even if there are some similarities they didn't bother me. The new world and characters Clare created are in my opinion not just copies.

The one thing I didn't enjoy about the story was the dreaded love triangle. I can't understand why nearly every YA book needs a love triangle. I was never a friend of it and never will be. But still the book was good enough to make me excited to go on with the series.

cover
To be honest I'm not sure what exactly to think of the cover. I like it but it's still a bit weird.

final appraisal
Once again Cassandra Clare managed to bring me some hours full of fun and entertainment. The world of "Clockwork Angel" is fascinating, the characters are interesting and the writing style is engaging. I would recommend this book to all readers who like young adult books with paranormal elements.